On Living and Dying

 I had a reader (someone I know) reach out to me and ask me to describe my personal beliefs on death and dying.  That's a very slippery slope, and not one I had intended to undertake here.  I want to create a space where we can talk about grief, living, death and dying (and consciousness) without resorting to my personal beliefs.  I am of the opinion that anyone - regardless of who it is or what their intentions may be - can find all kinds of evidence to support their personal ethos if they so elect.   I don't want this to become that. 

Having said that, though, I recognize that it is sometimes helpful to understand the premise upon which a writer shares their information, and so here is mine. 


I believe, but cannot yet prove (except, perhaps, anecdotally), that:


1.  We are more than alive.  We are life.   Perhaps a better way to look at this might be to say that we are consciousness experiencing itself infinitely through individualized manifestations within a limited construct (what we call the physical world). 

2. When we experience biochemical death, we do not, in fact, die.   We do not cease to exist. We transition, or upgrade, or level up, or move on, or whatever you want to call it, but we do not cease. Perhaps a better way to express this is to say that we become untethered. 

3. We were never born in any real sense.  We have always been.  We are infinite; eternal. No beginning. No end. Our biophysical birth marks only our entrance into this particular dispensation of our conscious experience. It was not a beginning. Merely another marking of a transition from one form to another. 

4. It is imperative that we begin to fully understand the importance of suffering and failure.   Our world currently seeks to avoid these things; but our cognitive (and conscious) development depend upon our learning the lessons we need to expand.    

5. We have perhaps been "born" or "died" thousands of times before, retaining no firm cognitive footprint of these events, since they are perhaps insignificant events in and of themselves.   With those who claim past-life memories notwithstanding, it may be unimportant or irrelevant as to whether or not we remember our past, because in some sense there is no true past, only now, only present. Only here.   And our memories are only monuments that we establish to recall physical experiences time-stamped to our current reality.  We have no need of them in the broader perspective of our existence, since we evolve without effort and without prompting. 


#afterlife #death #consciousness #dying #grief
Our experience after life may depend upon how we view it as individuals. 


These are my current beliefs. I add that as a disclaimer, because I am open to changing them as evidence presents itself.   My goal in trying to have these conversations about death and dying outside of the realm of any kind of defined spirituality or religion is not to diminish the importance of one's faith or religion, but instead to help change the way all of us look at death. Doing that necessitates a different language, one that I hope to construct so that this new view of biochemical death can be afforded to everyone, without regard of religion or belief.  



Popular Posts